Key Facts About Cucumber
- Cucumber (Cucumis sativus) originates from South Asia, is a creeping vine
- Belongs to the Cucurbitaceae gourd family which is widely cultivated for its edible fruit and is used as vegetables.
- Cucumber is one of the oldest cultivated vegetables.
- Today, cucumber is the fourth most widely grown vegetable crop in the world – after tomatoes, onions, and cabbage.
- They are grown worldwide in temperate regions.
- There are three main varieties of cucumber slicing, pickling, and seedless.
- Cucumber for weight loss is often regarded as a important snack as it is low in calories and fat.
Nutritional Value For 100g Of Cucumber
Cucumbers have a very high nutritional value which makes them ideal for weight loss programs. One medium unpeeled, raw cucumber has the following:
- Total Fat – 0 grams
- Carbs – 6 grams
- Protein – 3 grams
- Fibre – 2 grams
- Calories – 30
- Vitamin C – 10% (recommended of the DV)
- Vitamin K – 57% of DV
- Magnesium – 9% of DV
- Potassium – 12% of DV
- Manganese – 9% of DV
[DV: Daily value]
Benefits Of Eating Cucumber
Cucumber also contains many vitamins and minerals that make them a healthy choice for cooking and snacking. Here, are the 10 health benefits of cucumber:
- Keeps you hydrated: Cucumber has 96% water content that is much more nutritious than regular water, which helps in keeping the body hydrated and regulating body temperature.
- Can be used as a beauty aid: The high-water content and the presence of certain vitamins and minerals make cucumber an essential part of skincare.
- Fights Cancer: Cucumber contains lariciresinol, pinoresinol, and secoisolariciresinol – Three ligands that have a strong history of research in connection with reduced risk of several cancer types.
- Controls blood pressure: Cucumber juice contains a lot of potassium, magnesium, and fibre which are very helpful for regulating blood pressure.
- Beneficial for teeth and gums: Cucumber juice is also beneficial for people with teeth and gums problems, especially in cases of pyorrhoea. Cucumber is a good source of dietary fibre and this fibre massage the teeth and gums.
- Aids digestion: Digestive disorders, such as heartburn, gastritis, and even ulcers, can be cured by the daily consumption of fresh cucumber juice. The high-water content in cucumber is very effective in driving away toxins from the digestive system and hence can aid digestion.
- Promotes Joint health: Cucumber is an excellent source of silica which is known to promote joint health by strengthening the connective tissues.
- Cures diabetes: Cucumber juice has been found to be beneficial for diabetic patients. This vegetable contains a hormone needed by the cells for the pancreas for producing insulin.
- Acts as a diuretic: Because of the water content in cucumber, it acts as a diuretic. It eliminates waste products from the body through urination.
- Aids in weight loss: Due to its low calorie and high-water content, cucumber is an ideal diet for people who are looking for weight loss.
How Much Cucumber to Eat Daily?
One can eat as many cucumbers as much as your appetite permits and nutritionally a daily intake does not harm. Its water content is relatively high enough to prevent dehydration, but for weight loss, it is always suggested to consume at least a serving of one-half a cup to get the most out of it.
How To Make Cucumber Juice for Weight Loss?
Beverages such as cucumber juice can boost your metabolism and can reduce hunger which can aid in weight loss. As cucumbers are very low in calories, so this recipe can be very helpful for weight loss.
- Peel a few cucumbers.
- Chop them into smaller pieces and blend them until you get a smoothie.
- You can either add water or can use a strainer to turn your puree into juice.
It is always said that adding water can help you ingest more fibre and micronutrients from the cucumber itself.
Consuming Cucumber for Weight Loss
About 90% of the cucumber is water, it is low in calories and high in essential nutrients. One can consume this during dinner as well as in the meals like snacks. Cucumbers are very high in fibres and fibres are very essential during the weight loss journey. However, it is always suggested that the best time to eat cucumber is always during the day because our metabolism rate is always at peak during the day which can eventually help for weight loss.
Yes, cucumber can help you with weight loss, but you cannot live on cucumber alone. If you want to lose weight by eating cucumbers, you will soon feel you have no energy, and sometimes you may get sick.
It is always suggested that to consume cucumbers along with meals or after meals during your weight loss journey. They are a healthy snack that you could eat in addition to following a well-balanced diet within a calorie target appropriate for your weight target.
How to Add Cucumber in Your Diet for Weight Loss?
Curd With Cucumber for Weight Loss
Cucumbers contain many important minerals and nutrients the body craves and its health as well. However, no single food will help in weight loss. Curd is a probiotic and has proven effective in the improvement of intestinal function.
Curd is rich in protein, riboflavin, vitamin B12, and B6 calcium. Curd and curd-based dishes in the recent past have earned a good share of fame as a healthy alternative to sinful desserts.
Curd and cucumber are effective for weight loss because they are very low in calories and are zero in fat. Also, it can be considered a superfood and can be a great substitute for creamy fat-filled desserts. It is very light on the stomach and is easy to digest Hence, it is often dubbed to be good for shedding extra kilos.
Curd being a dairy product is very rich in calcium and calcium according to some studies is also known for its weight loss effects as it can keep you full for a very long period and cucumber is a low-calorie vegetable, so when consumed along with curd during a meal can help cut down on the carb intake.
Recipe of cucumber and curd for weight loss
- Peel and chop some fresh cucumbers, green chillies (optional), onion, tomatoes
- Mix then together with curd or yogurt and add salt to taste.
Cucumber Raita (An Indian side dish containing chopped cucumbers or other vegetables) is very soothing for your stomach and has a detoxifying and cleansing effect on your overall health.
Ginger With Cucumber for Weight Loss
Gingers can help weight loss because it has potent diuretic, and as it has thermogenic properties (heat-producing), it can eventually contribute to weight loss. This is because thermogenic properties can help you boost up metabolism and can stimulate the body to use up more energy.
Ginger is also known for relieving gastrointestinal symptoms. Ginger can be taken on its own or along with lemon, cinnamon, turmeric, or nutmeg.
But for weight loss ginger is always recommended to be taken along with cucumber because cucumber and ginger both are extremely low in calories and are effective towards weight loss. Ginger and cucumber juice is always known for detoxification of the body, and which can eventually lead to weight loss.
Recipe of Cucumber and Ginger for weight loss
- Peel and chop some cucumbers in small pieces
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of shredded ginger
- Add a pinch of freshly ground black and add salt to taste
Consume this juice always in the morning to boost your metabolism. Nutritionists suggest that Cucumber and ginger juice is effective in efficient weight management.
Cucumber Smoothie for Weight Loss
Smoothies with cucumber can provide great nutritional value. It is a very quick way to gain energy after a long session of workout. Smoothies are extremely simple and quick to prepare, so many fitness trainers drink smoothies right after an intense workout session.
Cucumber smoothies can help you boost your metabolism, tone, define your muscles, detox your body, turn off the genes that contribute to fat storage, and promote satiety, thereby promoting weight loss. Cucumber smoothies can be a great way to lose weight if you include them in your diet correctly.
Recipe of Cucumber Smoothie for weight loss
- Peel and chop some cucumbers
- Transfer the chopped cucumber into the blender and add ice cubes, yoghurt, honey, mint leaves and lemon juice
- If you prefer salty smoothie then add Himalayan pink salt and skip the honey.
Consuming this smoothie can be very beneficial for your health because it is very low in calories and is packed with some essential nutrients and it can keep you full for a very long period so, that you don’t binge eat on food.
The Bottom Line
Cucumber for weight loss can be an important add-on to the weight loss diet. It is often regarded as a healthy food because it is exceptionally low in calories. Daily intake of cucumber does not harm as its water content is high enough to prevent dehydration. Cucumber can be used with curd, in ginger, in smoothies for better nutritional content.
- How and when to eat cucumber to lose weight
- 7 Health Benefits of Eating Cucumber
- Weight loss: Can cucumbers help you lose 5 kilos in 1 week?
- Cucumber For Weight Loss: How To Use The Hydrating Goodness To Lose Weight
- Cucumber Diet for Weight Loss: How Effective is It?
- How to Eat Cucumbers to Lose Weight
- cucumber juice recipe for weight loss
- GINGER CUCUMBER DETOX JUICE
- Top 10 Cucumber Juice Recipes
- Juices for Weight Loss: This 4-Ingredient Slimming Juice May Cut Belly Fat And Fire Up Metabolism
- Health benefits of cucumber
She is a research enthusiast, doing her master’s degree in biotechnology. Planning to pursue her higher studies in Environmental science in a reputed organization.